March 10, 2011

Spiced Mug Mat: I Did It!!!

For Christmas my mother-in-law gave me a really cool gift, spiced mug mats.  They are fantastic but a little "folksy" looking for my taste.  I also realized that I could make them myself.  You can check out the original post here: I Could Do That: Spiced Mug Mats.

Well, I have not only made them, but created a tutorial for you.  Don't they look fabulous?


First, I chose my fabric.  This is from the line Java by Deb Strain for Moda.  I cut up a bunch of squares 5x5 inches.


You will also need some fusible fleece and cut up a bunch of those 4.5x4.5 inches.


I also chose the potpourri that I was going to use inside the mug mat.  I chose a cinnamon spice.  I only needed one pack (since cinnamon is very strong I didn't use much).


I placed two of my fabric squares right side together and sewed up three sides with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.


I then centered and placed the fusible fleece and both sides and ironed it.


I clipped the corners and flipped it inside out.  I also folded in the open end a 1/4 of an inch and pressed it.



I sewed around the edges at 1/8 of an inch, starting at one edge of the opening, going around and stopping at the other edge of the opening.  Open it up and put a couple pinches of your potpourri in, turn and sew your opening shut.


That's it!  You have Spiced Mug Mats.  I managed to make up 8 in about an hour.


Some of these are going to be sent off to some of my friends that responded to my Pay It Forward, Craft Style.

My cousin posted this on her Facebook page and I in turn did the same.
Pay it Forward in 2011: I promise to send something handmade to the first 5 people who leave a comment here. They must in turn post this and send something they make to the first 5 people who comment on their status. "The rules are that it must be handmade by you and it must be sent... to your 5 people sometime in 2011."
 I am not offering this up again.  Just to be clear...but maybe a giveaway soon, since it looks like I am getting some followers!  Welcome to you all, I hope you enjoy my blog.
Showing this off at:


7 comments:

  1. That is so cute! What kind of potpouri did you use? Is there a special kind? I have some really cute fabric that I have left over from a quilt that would work perfectly for this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved your fabric and the way you packaged the mug mats. Do you think 2 pieces of hobolite 100% polythermal interfacing lining would make the mat too thick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! Im going to try to make some today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! you should also give awaysafety mats to help people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the step by step directions! I'm going to make these as gifts this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if these can be machine washed?

      Delete
  6. It would probably lose it's scent if you did.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...